I’ve just got my hands on a new server to store backups and archived files before being sent offsite, and it wouldn’t boot off my USB key.
Even after many dd, dd with skip and FreeNAS installations, I was getting a “GPT table corrupt” message.
Finally, the fix was easy enough:
- boot FreeNAS installation CD and choose Shell instead of Install
- type gpart show , it listed my device and that GPT table was corrupt
- type gpart destroy -F <thedevice>
- return to the menu
- choose Install
- when it’s finished, go back to the shell
- type gpart show again to check that it’s not corrupt anymore
- enjoy your FreeNAS